Chocolate, Avocado & Orange Mousse

Don’t be fooled by the “chocolate mousse” title, this is a healthy version of your regular chocolate pudding.

Serves: 3

Ingredients:

• 2 medium sized ripe avocados
  • The zest of one orange
  • The juice of one and a half large oranges
  • 2tbsp honey
  • Either 3tbsp of high quality cocoa and 20gย of melted 85% dark chocolate (I’d recommend Green & Black’s dark chocolate) OR if you can’t find a health food shop nearby for good quality cocoa, 2tbsp of good quality hot chocolate powder will do and 40gย dark chocolate

You will need:

• A food blender
  • Three ramekins
  • A fine grater

1. First of all, cut the avocado’s in half and remove the stone. Next, shell out the flesh with a spoon and place into the blender.

thumb_IMG_8487_1024

2. Extract the orange juice using a fork or a juicer. Using a grater, grate the zest off of the orange and leave in a separate bowl to place on the chocolate avocado mix at the end.

thumb_IMG_8490_1024

3. By now you should have your honey, cocoa (or hot chocolate powder) and orange juice prepared.

thumb_IMG_8489_1024

4. Next, add the honey, cocoa or hot chocolate and orange juice, then blend

thumb_IMG_8488_1024

4. Once this has blended, melt your dark chocolate by placing it in a glass bowl and putting it on top of a pot full of simmering water – how you would normally melt chocolate! Then drizzle the melted chocolate into the blender and blend. If you want to add more orange, more dark chocolate or more honey to your mix to accommodate your tastebuds then you can experiment with the flavours.

thumb_IMG_8486_1024

5. Add the mix into ramekins and add the zest on top of the dessert and leave in the fridge to cool for an hour.

Each serving offers around: 324kcal, 22.6g fat, 30.5g carbohydrate, 12.2g protein, 9.3g fibre

Enjoy!

8 Comments

1. January 28, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Orange and chocolate are such a great mix, but definitely intrigued by the addition of the avocado as well. Looking forward to trying this.

• TheHungryHedonist.org
      January 28, 2016 / 10:09 pm

You definitely should do, it makes up for the lack of butter and eggs!

2. January 31, 2016 / 1:18 am

this looks amazing! I’ve made a paleo chocolate pudding before with avocado and it was fantastic. I thought I’d be able to taste the avocados so I was really surprised I didn’t. I keep forgetting to make it, though. haha. I’m not a huge orange chocolate-flavoured fan, so I’ll likely skip the orange but for those who love the Terry’s Chocolate orange, I’m sure this would tickle their fancy.
    I haven’t thought of using honey (just maple syrup) so I’ll give this a try. Maybe put some peppermint extract in it to replace the orange ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks for sharing your recipe, love your pics. I want to lick the screen!!

• TheHungryHedonist.org
      January 31, 2016 / 10:50 am

I’m not a huge chocolate orange fan either but this just seemed to work, and tasted so yummy. You’re right you can’t even taste the avocado, it just adds a buttery texture! You could definitely switch the orange for peppermint too that’s a great idea!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• TheHungryHedonist.org
      February 3, 2016 / 11:08 pm

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ it definitely makes you feel slightly less guilty!! X

3. February 5, 2016 / 10:55 am

Wow, what an amazing combination I never would have thought of to try. Love all these ingredients, so I’ll have to give it a go. Thanks.

• TheHungryHedonist.org